Sunday, August 14, 2011

He has foreseen this. It is your destiny!

Have you ever popped in a DVD, sat down on the couch, wrapped the blanket around you, dove into the bowl of popcorn, and snuggled in for a great movie experience. Only to have the disc tell you that your not going to enjoy the movie because it's not on Blu-ray? Blu-ray, "better than real life." Well too bad for you I'm watching a movie, and not real life. I do not need Blu-ray to enjoy my movie experience. I want humor, drama, explosions, acting, and a story. "But it's far superior to DVD", you say? Interesting, we've watched DVD's for years, never complaining about them. Whats the big deal? "You can see the chicken pock marks on Jennifer Annistions face!" Um, that doesn't make the movie anymore enjoyable. I especially love the part before the movie when the preview splits the screen saying. The left side is DVD and the right side is the amazing technology of Blu-ray. Really cause I'm watching a DVD, so just make the DVD look like the right side of the screen.

All that said, I'll be buying a Blu-ray player on September 16th. Nothing to do with the crystal clear technology, superior sound, or conformity. My TVs aren't even hooked up to HD. One of them isn't even HD compatible! I am also not giving into the PS3 dual whammy. I'll just buy a game system and oops I have Blu-ray too! Nope. I will be buying Blu-ray for one reason only, so George Lucas can have some more of my money. I hope he set up a commission program with Blu-ray. A form for me to fill out saying I only bought this useless piece of machinery cause George made me, now send him some of your money too. Yes, I own the Star Wars movies already. On VHS, DVD, DVD extended, Dvd remastered, DVD transfers of the original releases from laserdisc, the Phantom Edits, Rifftrax versions, and soon to be Blu-ray. Not for the sound. Not for the picture. Not for a complete collection. Certainly not to give George more money. I will be buying them for the over 40 hours of bonus material and special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, behind the scenes, documentaries and much more. Forty hours! That's like twenty more movies worth of material. And I will enjoy all of them on my not-HD TV, getting the full not reality experience. And 10 more years from now, when your all ranting about Holo-discs, I'll finally buy one of those when Star Wars is released.


1 comment:

  1. So I typed a long comment earlier and its not here. I said something like I think its funny how you guys are so resistant to Bluray. It is so cool to watch especially with anything visually striking. Kill Bill movies awesome! Watchmen and Sin City fn amazing! I am particularly excited to see Star Wars on Bluray, not only because it is the best films ever made...but also because I know will be able to see them as I did (and only could)in the theaters, in full resolution. You see the DVD doesn't have the capabilities to display the complete quality of 35mm film. There is something about that film quality that is unmatchable! undistinguishable! So you see MY problem has nothing to do with Bluray, and more to do with filming in HD. HD is just to crisp. I know the benefits of filming in digital are being able to instantly being able to review footage you have just filmed and much easier to store (hardrive space instead or warehouse space) I still long for film.

    ReplyDelete